I apologize for being behind but I have not forgotten you!
I have made dessert for you all to enjoy!
- a box of shredded fillo dough
- ricotta cheese
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- melted butter
- rose water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Shred the fillo dough and mix it with melted butter until all shreds are coated with butter.
3. Layer half of the shreds in a glass baking dish.
4. Layer with ricotta cheese and cover the top of the fillo dough.
5. Add the shredded mozzarella over the ricotta cheese and use the second half of the shredded fillo dough over the mozzarella.
6. Bake until everything melts and it is brown on top and sides.
7. Turn on broiler and cook the top of the kanafe BUT DO NOT LEAVE it unattended! So many times I thought I would be quick and catch the kanafe on time but the kanafe had black hair when I came back to it. Make sure it has nice golden brown hair.
8. On the stovetop melt the sugar, water, and rosewater (a few capfuls) until it melts and the syrup can glaze the back of the spoon. Sometimes I have it watery, whatever. To me it really does not matter.
9. When the kanafe is done, serve it and drizzle the syrup or pour it over the entire dish.
Some put cranberries, raisins, and coconut in the kanafe, but be warned, this is my version. Enjoy!